Will,

I'm glad the information was helpful. With respect to your follow-up
question, I'm not familiar with any other jurisdictions in which restroom
carveouts have been eliminated. That said, I would not expect there to be
many such jurisdictions as it appears that restroom carveouts to public
accommodation provisions are relatively rare.

As to why Charlotte eliminated its carveout, I think it is much more likely
to have been aimed at making sure transgendered individuals could use the
bathroom (or Y facility) matching their gender identity than it was to
achieve the "radical" goal of eliminating separate men and women's
bathrooms (or Y facilities). In at least one prior case, a restroom
carveout like the one in the old Charlotte ordinance resulted in the
dismissal of a discrimination case by a person who was allegedly harassed
by a security guard after using a women's restroom because they were
perceived to be transgendered. See In the Matter of Toni Jefferson, 2001 WL
474465.

I strongly suspect the supporters of the Charlotte ordinance had situations
like that in mind, and I have a very difficult time imagining the Charlotte
Community Relations Committee interpreting and applying the new ordinance
-- which, again, is identical to public accommodations provisions in states
and localities across the country -- as requiring a brave new world in
which pubic accommodations are required to allow "straight boys into the
girls showers." But if the NC law is struck down or repealed, perhaps we'll
find out.

- Jim