Eugene writes:

2.  Zubik, like other RFRA cases, are – at least ostensibly – about
implementing Congress’s will, including its will in enacting RFRA.  But
Congress, when it enacted RFRA, expressly took the view that religious
accommodation claims should be treated as akin to constitutional objections
(since it disagreed with the majority opinion in Smith).  So “the way
constitutional objections work is you might have to change current law” was
likely intended (and understood) as shorthand for (a) the way
constitutional objections work is that you might have to change current
law, (b) Congress meant to incorporate a constitutional-objection way of
thinking into RFRA, and (c) RFRA objections thus work the same way.

This would all be correct if only we switched out "pre-Smith Free Exercise"
for "constitutional."  The way *some *constitutional objections work is
that "you might have to change current law"--think, for instance, of facial
challenges to laws that discriminate on the basis of race, religion, or
speech content, such as *Lukumi *or *Ashcroft v. ACLU*.

But that was *not *how pre-*Smith *Free Exercise doctrine worked.  And *that
*doctrine--not, e.g., the doctrine governing content-based speech
statutes--was the discrete jurisprudence of constitutional law that
Congress incorporated into RFRA.

This is the principal argument in our amicus brief and in my recent paper:

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/02.17.16_amicus_brief_in_support_of_respondents-_religious_liberty_scholars.pdf

http://www.yalelawjournal.org/pdf/Lederman_PDF_pt9q3ynr.pdf