As I have frequently done in the past when this topic has appeared on-list,
I highly recommend Doug Laycock's wonderful treatment of the question in
Religious Liberty as Liberty, 7 Contemp. L. Issues 313, 326-37 (1996).

----- Original Message -----
From: "Levinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: Pickering Balancing or Strict Scrutiny?

> Shameless self-promotion:  I have a book of essays coming out this fall
(Duke University Press), Wrestling With Diversity.  The final piece in that
book, co-authored with my daughter Rachel (it began as a seminar paper when
she was at the University of Chicago Law School), asks if we can sustain, as
a theoretical matter, the distinction between religion and what, for lack of
a better way of putting it in a short posting, "non-religious culture."
Recall Burger's disdain for Thoreau and, presumably, "Thoreauvians" in
Yoder.  Perhaps that's defensible if one is a wooden positivist and says,
simply, "we have a free exercise clause that protects religion" and doesn't
protect "cultural expression. That's why, among other things, there is no
"Cultural Freedom Restoration Act," because there's no constitutional
protection for something called "cultural freedom."  But, of course, Rick,
Mike McConnell, and others have made very powerful equality-based arguments
on the impropriety of !
>  selecting out religion for adverse treatment.  So what is it, either
theoretically or even constitutionally, that allows us to dismiss the claims
of the Thoreauvian homeschooler and give constitutional protection to the
religious one?  One answer, which we discuss (with acknowlegement to
discussions about RFRA several years ago) is that what is distinctive about
(some) religious claims is the threat of divine punishment for behavior not
in accord with the religious doctrine.  But, of course, many, if not indeed
most,  religious claims aren't based on a theory of "duty risking punishment
for disobedience.  Indeed, we discuss a thread from the RFRA discussion
about whether I, a self-proclaimed "secular Jew," would be able to claim a
right under RFRA not to be served pork, were I a prisoner, even though my
abstaining from pork and shellfish has nothing to do with a phenomenological
adherence to Jewish law (as opposed to "the custom of my people") or, even
more, a fear or divin!