Interesting.
I have a set of 639 cans on my repeater on 446.175 with No problems at all.
have no problem with the length of the tuning rods. No desense. and last time
I checked about 50 watts out.. BTW the repeater is a SPECTRUM...has been
working for years sitting out in the barn. NO I would never use it at a
commercial site
 But its been giving me years of trouble free service. I last tuned it when
it was installed back in 1994. last checked it in july this year. Bad
connector  up at the antenna.