Funny you should say that
 Here in my town.  about 7 years ago the PD bought a load of 2meter and
440 gear, antennas. Base and HT's with FEMA Money... the director  of
communications Then a Sergent
 felt that the PD can use the gear during an Emergency. because they are
a Police dept. There is not one radio amateur in the Department  nor is
there any hams that work for the township. I  offered my help years
ago.. he didnt want it.. the gear is still not hooked up  sitting in
boxes He
so Our OEM has no amateur service. and the Township Believes this guy
knows what hes doing
 they made him a Lt.... I would No be supprised if they eventually make
him police chief.