You could use my free path analysis tool, rfProfiler-Light, to
predict the path loss in various directions from your transmitter
site.

<http://www.rfsoftware.com/rfpl/downloads.shtml>

It is not as slick as the expensive programs, but what do you want
for free!

Joe, N2UF

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Seamans"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There are some very high quality computer propagation predicting
computer programs available that use USGS data maps. However these
are expensive and only the companies that are into coverage
predicting in a commercial way can afford them. But they are good.

> The first paper on VHF and UHF Propagation predicting that I became
aware of was written by an engineer at GE Mobile Radio Department in
1962. It was well circulated and included in their Data File as a
Bulletin 10003-1 (Abstract: This bulletin is provided for calculating
the coverage which a certain VHF and UHF transmitter will provide or
for calculating the power which a transmitter must have to cover a
certain area. Such factors as path clearance, transmission line
losses, antenna gains, and reliability are all taken into account for
paths as long as 1000 miles). It is written for the knowledgeable
technician and engineer. The charts and curves contained in this work
were the basis for most all future computer propagation predicting
programs of the 80's. For the radio shops and limited users this was
a life saver. Also, a slide rule type prediction calculator (Range
and Transmitter Power Calculator) was designed for the mobile radio
sales people to use. These were such good tools that most
manufactures and sales people in the 60's and 70's highly valued
there use, even "M's" sales people would carry one in their brief
cases.

> I doubt you could find the slide rule calculator now unless someone
hoarded a bunch of them. The Datafile Bulletin 10003-1 dated July
1962 could be copied from some of the old timers in the industry. It
could be of great benefit to answer some of the recent questions that
have been on the Repeater-Builder mail.