Fred,

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to answer some of your questions below, but
first, I failed to mention the first time around that this is not going to
be a commercial repeater system; actually, it's a Ham repeater system.
Therefore, a handful of others and I are doing the work ourselves; we're
just looking for a little guidance and a few suggestions or ideas from those
who may have walked down this path before.

As for the Vertex repeater, even though there are almost 10 of these
repeaters in service for ham applications in this area alone, I'll be the
first to do any type of experimenting with the backup power option. The
information I provided in my previous E-Mail came from an independent
communications company and from Vertex technical support, but leaves me a
bit confused. From what I gathered the charging circuit is meant only to
float charge the batteries to keep them optimized, not to bring them back
from any "dead" state, such a condition would damage the charging circuit
and or the repeater. In fact, it was the Vertex technician who recommended
that should AC power fail and the repeater runs the DC batteries below the
normal operating voltage, AC power should not be reconnected to the unit
until the batteries have been allowed sufficient time to recharge on a
separate unit. Like I said above, this makes sense in a way, but yet,
confuses me in that how could you stop AC power from coming back on much
less have time to get to the site in between to disconnect the DC power
source?

The computer in this case will not need extended run time as I don't believe
the servicing ISP has any type of extended life on the small UPS that they
own, I'm looking at just a clean way to bring it down at this point, and I
think that a small AC UPS will do the trick for it. One less problem in the
mix.

I think I can answer most of your questions with a quick summary; I'm
looking to get the most I can with what I have. My space requirements are
the bottom of a repeater cabinet, I can get to the repeater pretty much any
time Monday through Friday and other than two flights of stairs and I can
get to the equipment with relative ease.

Does this help any?

--
Justin W. Pauler
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]