All,

I am trying to resolve a problem on a local repeater where they are having intermittent 'noise' problems.

Background:
This a commercial GE repeater that has been modified for 2m use.  When the noise is not present the repeater performance is outstanding with a wide coverage area.
The following have been replaced with new and had no effect:
  - tranmitter/receiver
  - antenna (super station master)
  - hardline from duplexer to antenna
  - repeater controller

The noise may be related to weather (wet or cold causing an increase in the problem) though it is not a everytime event.

It was originaly believed that it was a grounding problem but grounding improvements have had no lasting effect.

At one point it was said that the guy wires were causing the problem so the club recently put insulators in all 9 guy wires about 6 to 8 feet from the anchor point - no help.

The problem, which sounds like static or popping, occurs only during transmitting incoming audio.  In other words, all controller generated audio is fine, no noise what so ever.

I am wondering if we are looking at a problem in the duplexor.  One because it is the only peice of the system that has not been changed (although it was checked out by a professional RF engineer using state of the art equipment about a year or so ago - but he was just looking to tune it to the right frequencies).  Two, because the only time there is a problem is during transmitting received audio.  We are going to go and check all of the interconnections in the duplexor, but I thought I would ask the group if they had ever experienced anything similar, and ask for suggestions.

Thanks and 73,
Rick
W2RDS