At 1/17/2005 10:10 AM, you wrote:

>At 12:59 PM 1/17/2005 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >Derek,  Give the LMR-400 to someone who is not running Duplex.
>
><---I've had very good results using LMR-400 on a relatively low power (<
>30) full-duplex UHF link. I just happen to have had a 100' roll of the
>stuff and figured I'd try it, even with all the caveats about doing so.
>
>This is one of those topics that seems to be a "your mileage may vary", as
>I know people who have had all sorts of grief using LMR types in full
>-duplex service, while others (like myself) have done fine with it.
>
>Since you have it, try it! If it works out, you're all set. If not, you can
>always replace it!
>
>Ken

There seems to be a lot of varied experience with this type of cable.  I've
tried 9913 on a duplexer UHF repeater before & had the same noisy
experience you had Derek.  OTOH I have a 40' roll of LMR400 that I use on
my 2 meter portapeater & it works just fine.

A lot may have to do with what connectors are used & how they're
installed.  If the shield RF is kept on the inside of the foil, it will
never get to the foil/braid interface, where the staticy desense is likely
occurring.  But this also means that the performance will be dependent upon
how well the antenna at the end of the feedline is decoupled from the
coax.  If there is any RF current flow down the outside of the coax from
the antenna, you're in trouble no matter what.  Silver-plated braided coax
& hardline don't have these issues since the shield material is uniform.

Bob NO6B