What do you want to build a vhf, uhf, or other band repeater? How much do you
plan to invest in the project? And what space is avaliable for the finished
project?  Are you going in to a low rf enviroment or a high rf repeater site?

Simplicity says 2 back to back radios through an interface. you can use
handhelds for very limited range and low output power in a low rf enviroment,
or mobiles for larger area and probably a more selective front end.

I have a prefrence for motorola micor compa-stations. I have done 4 uhf and one
6 meter and they are still on the air, & I have not had to touch them since I
put them on the air. They have come way down in price in the past 4 years.

Now includes pop-up blocker!