-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Eric Lemmon
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:33 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] RS Astron up to 15 volts, will it be ok

Mathew,

The answer to your first question is yes, the Astron can be adjusted up
even higher without ill effects.

But, I strongly suggest that you get rid of that West Mountain device
and connect your radio directly to the battery bank through a fused
lead.  That will cure your low power issue.  Now, connect the anode of a
heavy-duty Schottky power diode at the positive output terminal of the
Astron power supply and connect the cathode of that diode to the battery
bank.  I prefer to use an International Rectifier diode #122NQ030R which
is rated at 30 volts and 120 amperes.  I use a short piece of copper bar
stock, 1/8" thick, 1" wide, and 2" long to mount the diode to the
positive terminal of the power supply.  Note that this is a "reverse
polarity" diode;  the case is the anode and the 1/4" terminal screw is
the cathode to which the battery lead is connected.  This diode is
available from Digi-Key as stock number 122NQ030R-ND for $16.04 in
single quantities.

The great value of a Schottky power diode is that the forward voltage
drop under load is about half that of an ordinary silicon power diode,
and is stable over a wide range of current.  The 122NQ030R has only 0.5
volt drop at 120 amperes.

You should adjust the output voltage of your Astron power supply to
provide the correct float voltage for your battery bank when the radio
is in standby mode.  You'll find that the voltage going to the radio
will vary only a small amount between standby and transmit modes.  The
best part of this arrangement is that nothing happens if the commercial
power fails or the power supply goes belly-up; the diode prevents the
power supply crowbar circuit from shorting out or dragging down the
battery bank.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

Mathew Quaife wrote:

Can an Astron RS-70 power supply be taken up to 15 volts and survive
ok?   Here is the situation.  I have a bank of batteries for the
repeater and a West Mountain PWRgate 40 amp switch that goes between the
power supply, the batteries and the repeater.  When I put it in line,
and hook it all up, I lose a considerable amount of repeater power.
Nearly 1/4 of the power.  Measuring the voltage out of the power supply
is 13.6 and the voltage out of the PWRgate is about 12.6 volts.  Any
ideas or suggestions?