The FCC sets very general rules. There are voluntary frequency coordination bodies in different areas that help keep things in order. The FCC does very little enforcement anymore due to budget/policy issues. For the most part (In my area) the hams keep things pretty much In good order operational wise. I guess there are some areas of the country where things are out of hand but the primary responsibility is on the repeater owner/trustee who's
callsign is on the system. The FCC does not issure repeater licenses anymore, they are under the callsign or the owner or trustee.

Chris
N9LLO
53.39Repeater
444.025 Repeater