At 18:40 11/14/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>  Filling a cheap connector, like a PL-259 or F connector, may work.  the
> grease can ooze out of the connector and the connector can be tightened.
>
>BUT, an N or DIN connector has closer tolerances and when you tighten
>these connectors you start to compress the grease.  As grease does not
>compress very well, you may or may not get the connector tight. (depending
>upon the amount of grease you put in the fitting and if there is an air
>pocket that can be compressed.)  After time, the grese will eventually
>find it's way out of the connector and the connector will become
>loose.  This has been my experience after probably 100+ failures of N
>connections due to STUF being put in the joint.
>
>Joe

Another problem with filling N connectors is that the constant impedance
design of the N depends on the air dielectric within the contact
region.  Fill that with anything & you've just created an impedance bump,
which you may not see at 2 meters due to the short electrical length of the
connector but may be a problem at higher freqs.

Bob NO6B