well here in Florida (Tampa Bay area)  all the stores in the malls don't sell parts anymore,  only stores with parts are the ones in strip centers.  There thought is no one comes to the mall for parts and I would bet it is also the cost of rents on the malls.  They need a faster turn over to make the rents, like lots of cells phones.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Micor Tuning tools

"Bob M." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
While I hate to utter these words, you might find a
set at a well-equipped RadioShack store.

I resent them words, please let my Radioshack die in peace, hi hi, just kidding.  Actually Radioshack quit carrying the tuning tools quite some time ago, all they have is the tuning rods with the flat metal in them.  I had to get mine from a parts shop about 30 miles from here.  It's only a matter of time and Radioshack will no longer caryy parts.  If we carry anything at all.

Mathew

There are several common sizes of hex tuning tools.
One such official one has two hex sizes at one end and
a flat blade piece of metal at the other end that will
fit the slot in the power control pot.

0.075, 0.093, 0.125 inch are common sizes.

I have a brand new one that measures 0.072 and 0.098,
and a 30 year old one that measures 0.075 and 0.098,
which leads me to believe the tolerances are +/- .003
or so. I have a broken one that came with an MSF5000
tuning tool kit (it's missing the 0.075 hex part)
Anyway, the Motorola part number is 66D84387C01 and it
came from a SpectraTAC receiver tuning kit. I'm sure
there are others with different part numbers that have
the same tips. They were often included in tuning tool
kits shipped with radios.

I bet if you went to your local Motorola Radio Service
Shop, they'd give you one.

Bob M.
======