> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I thought they were around 16-17 dB.  Chip
> claims 17 dB < 500 MHz; I once measured 16.
> Bob NO6B

I've got some preamp assemblies here rated near
40dB gain, which they do quite nicely. (made by
Angle Linear)
Much is possible...

> > I found that the 17dB gain was way too much
> > for the receiver....

Depends on the receiver...

> ><---That's one reason I swear by Chip's
> >stuff for over 15 year. He places stability
> >and noise figure over gain. The result are
> >preamps with extremely low noise figure,
> >unconditional stability and reasonable gain
> >(typically around 12 dB).

Unless you're using bipolar preamps on VHF, the
12dB gain figure you post is kind of low for
a GasFet or Phempt device. As previously stated
on the group (by me) Chip doesn't offer a VHF
GasFet device so I use another brand. Low noise
is low noise and the phempt and GasFet devices
offer the lowest noise figures.

Chip makes great stuff, so does ARR and as did
Janel and a few others. I've got some Telewave
preamps here that look like an Angle Linear box
but Telewave said the preamps weren't made by AL.
Cellwave (now RFS) made a nice preamp as does
Sinclair.

Cheers,
skipp