Dave VanHorn wrote:

> You've got a big project there.
> What is it exactly that you're looking to learn?

I need som good reference about passive filters. I have Eagleware Genesys
software, but everything i simulate i do not get so much usable results.

> I'm asking, because you seem to want to take on a LOT of issues,
> which may leave you broke and discouraged in the end.

I am working in on company on servicing receivers and transceivers. I
carefully choosed concept, and i have only problem with filters....
(input, passive LC filters, vith varicap diodes for adjusting)

> If I were you, I'd start off with a repeater controller, a relatively
> straightforward firmware project with a little hardware interfacing.
> I'd use existing radio hardware for that section.

As i said, i have something finished for PIC micro... In my company,
where i work, programmers use atmel, but it is all the same.

> Then I might try my hand at a transmitter design, and learn just how
> critical things are, and all the ways that a transmitter can get you
> into trouble. :)

OK, i would send you schematic for transmitter, so u could give me advice
- did i or did i not designed it well...

> Receiver design is another bunch of fun, and repeaters have some
> issues that are especially important with regards to how large
> undesired signals affect it.

I know that. I have finished 80% of receiver, only input filter (without
diplexer) is problematic.... also cna drop you schematic

> I've done a simple repeater controller in an Atmel Tiny-11 ($0.25),
> using only it's 32 registers and small rom. (no ram in this part)
> Out of that I was able to get COR debounce, kerchunk filtering,
> timeout timer, ID timer, hang timer, CWID (translating ASCII text in
> rom to CW) and multitone courtesy beep.  External hardware was a pot,
> keying transistor, and a few R's and C's. I didn't even need a
> crystal and caps since I was able to use the on-board R/C oscillator.
>
> Personally, I avoid the PIC, it's internal "architecture" makes life
> rather complicated, and it's a relatively slow machine.

Doesnt matter :)
I have some design already almost finished, so, why not use them...
I could use Tiny or Mega or any other Atmel, but i do not have need for
that...

> If you'd like to see what CAN be done, have a look at the Arcom RC-
> 210 controller.  This runs on an AVR Mega-128 part.

I planed to use 16F876 or 16F877 PIC...
Regards!