----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Kelsey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I have a 5KW natural gas generator at my house to serve as backup power
> to not only the house, but it keeps a repeater and my ham shack up and
> running.

  Congratulations. Not many folks do that. :-) I want to do that myself, but
having a total electric house, a 5 kw isn't big enough, I'd need a 12 to 15 kw
to run things here.

> During  cold weather, it doesn't like to start (manual start, pull
> cord). I fund that if I place a halogen work light pointed at it for
> about 10 minutes, it warms it up enough so it will start OK.
>
> My question is -- does anyone know of a small engine block heater out
> there? I've done Google searches and don't really find anything
> worthwhile. No, I don't what to use a light bulb. I want something
> that's safe, economical to operate and UL approved.

  It's a 5 kw running only on natural gas? I'm very familiar with the older
Onan gensets (I used to be a parts mananger for a motor home / industrial
business back in the 70's). I know they used to have a nice oil heater that
was for the NH and JC/DJC  models that would keep the whole thing at about
120F in its' enclosure, and that sounds like something you'd need.

  Either that, or check into the JC Whitney catalog and see what they offer
nowadays.

  If ya need more, chat to me off the list.

                _Ray_        KBØSTN