I have prepared a GE MastrII repeater on 444 with a mobile duplexer,2
port controller,vhf simplex remote powered by a 55ah gel cell. Its
deployable by one person,can be plugged into a cigar lighter or an a/c
outlet. The cost is comparable with two Alinco mobiles,but the
performance is far superior. Typical use has been mobile in a vehicle
stationed on a hill and at a tower at the local EOC on pre-installed
antennas. We are working on building two more and maybe a VHF one as
well. It doesnt sit in a corner waiting for deployment,rather we keep it
on the air on a low antenna for local use,battery always on charge. We
have pre-installed antennas at the EOC,comm centers,hospitals and all
FD's in our county and test them regularly.A complete spare repeater is
also at the ready. We also have a simplex plan as well,utilizing the
pre-installed antennas.We also have similar setups for HF,packet and
VOIP. We will be well prepared for whatever happens rather than relying
upon some cobbled up mobiles or cross-band radios that would tend to
fail. No simplex repeaters to slow down traffic either. I STRONGLY
encourage all to take EMCOMM courses as well. This may be a requirement
to participate in disaster comms in the near future. Be prepared!
73,Lee,N3APP Erie County PA Skywarn,RACES,ARES. FCC GROL
Owner of 147.27/443.375/444.475    Tech support of  146.61/146.82/146.70

Dale Pratt wrote:

>Anything wrong with a simplex repeater for emergency use at about 10 to 25
>watts no duplexer needed just set up ant mobile radio with controller and on
>the air takes some getting use to but would do in emergency . Most hams
>radios can go out of band so could set up on freq needed .( with Permission
>Of owner of freq that is used ) .

NEVER EVER USE A HAM RIG ON ANY PUBLIC SERVICE BAND,STRCTLY ILLEGAL!!!