On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, skipp025 wrote:
> finding wave-length and distance nulls in antenna patterns in vertical
> sep repeater antennas used on low band is a real chore.
>
> Simple good setups work, getting greedy doesn't have as much fudge room.

Roger that. I was just looking at it from the disaster recovery angle.
2.5W > 0W. 25W vs 2.5W is 10dB, so there's some realistic numbers in there
too -- but when using seperate antennas for TX or RX, it's pretty
important that the TX antenna be sheilded with hardline if it's the only
TX on the tower. If not, then the RX feedline should be shielded. This
assumes that you don't use hardline for both ports, which is what many
people do.

For my 900MHz repeater, I'm looking at using hardline from the
transmitter, to the duplexer, to the case of the repeater and out to the
antenna. The RX will most likely be simple RG58 (since I have miles of it
already with BNC and N connectors) and since there is additional filtering
in the RX chain(s). Since I only have to worry about the TX eating up the
RX inside the box, I figure I'm pretty safe, even if the loss is slightly
higher.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                       "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"