In a bold move the Federal Communications Commission has
decided to deregulate the Amateur Radio Service. This comes at a
time when budget cuts within the Commission are forcing its
Enforcement Bureau to shut down by 1 January 2006.

 A spokesperson for the Commission stated that since Amateur
Radio operators are supposed to be self-policing that this new move
"should not pose a problem." And that it would also "solve the whole
issue of restructuring."

 This news has come as quite a shock to many in the Amateur
Radio community, striking up many heated debates. "Basically we're
being told that we're on our own as of 1 January, 2008", said a
highlevel League staff member.

 In the interim between 2005 and 2008 Amateur Radio operators
are expected to act just as they do now. "Nothing's changed yet, and
all the rules and regulations are still in effect," said a
spokesperson for the Commission.

 All of this is set to change however, starting in 2008. On 1 January
2008 Amateur Radio in the United States will cease to exist as an
official radio service. At that time it will be up to the operators to
make up their own rules and regulations and to enforce them.
To clarify one other issue, "call signs that have not already been
issued will all be available on the 'honor system'," said another
Commission spokesperson. The band-plans and power limitations are
expected to stay the same.

Look for more information on this late-breaking news story as it
becomes available.