Another Press Release In Limbo from the LIRPA News Agancy.  Stay Tuned
For More!

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of n8rqu
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 2:27 PM
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] FCC to Deregulate Amateur Radio by 2008

In a bold move the Federal Communications Commission has decided to
deregulate the Amateur Radio Service. This comes at a time when budget
cuts within the Commission are forcing its Enforcement Bureau to shut
down by 1 January 2006.

 A spokesperson for the Commission stated that since Amateur Radio
operators are supposed to be self-policing that this new move "should
not pose a problem." And that it would also "solve the whole issue of

 This news has come as quite a shock to many in the Amateur Radio
community, striking up many heated debates. "Basically we're being told
that we're on our own as of 1 January, 2008", said a highlevel League
staff member.

 In the interim between 2005 and 2008 Amateur Radio operators are
expected to act just as they do now. "Nothing's changed yet, and all the
rules and regulations are still in effect," said a spokesperson for the

 All of this is set to change however, starting in 2008. On 1 January
2008 Amateur Radio in the United States will cease to exist as an
official radio service. At that time it will be up to the operators to
make up their own rules and regulations and to enforce them. To clarify
one other issue, "call signs that have not already been issued will all
be available on the 'honor system'," said another Commission
spokesperson. The band-plans and power limitations are expected to stay
the same.

Look for more information on this late-breaking news story as it becomes