You can configure Thunderbird to put messages from different accounts
into one folder if you like. When I switched from Eudora to Thunderbird
all the imported messages were brought on board in their respective
folders and all of those folders were placed in one folder in
Thunderbird. After that, you can drag the folders anywhere you like to
organize. There have been significant improvements in Thunderbird over
the past year or so.

One problem I had with Thunderbird was it wanted to constantly bug me
about compacting folders. Had to set the limit quite high to prevent
that. Caution, never let it compact folders while you are on line.
Always select the "off line" button (lower left corner in my
configuration) before compacting folders.

Filters work just fine and the smart Junk and Scam sensing works pretty
well too. It learns from you.

73, Tony W4ZT