On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:26:45 -0500, Jay Urish wrote
> Right now I have a Bird 4410.
>
> What does everybody think about the telewave units?
> --
> Jay Urish W5GM

Birds and the Telewaves are not SWR bridges, they're directional wattmeters.

With that said, I'm not fan of the Telewaves.  I have two of the 44A's, but
I rarely use them.  The switch is a little flakey on one of the ones I have,
even though it's only maybe 5 years old.  The other one is a little older,
and it has someting intermittant internally that results in it giving
different readings on sucessive key-ups.

I have several different flavors of Birds including 43's, 43P's, the digital
4391A, etc.  Without fail, I always find myself grabbing one of the 43's
(call me a stubborn OF, but they just work).

The digital 4391 is nice, but as you might imagine, the battery is always
dead at the most inopportune time.  I have a Bird 4410 at one of my clients'
locations, and like it for what little time I've used it.

I have Coaxial Dynamics wattmeters of various types at broadcast sites, but
generally speaking, if I'm the one doing the buying, I buy Bird.

                        --- Jeff