At 11:18 AM 11/16/2006, you wrote:

>I would say that depends on when the radio was made. Older Yaesu's,
>such as the FT-757 and even the FT-727 had a "CAT" interface which
>allows data from a computer to set the operating parameters of the
>radio.
>
>Other radios in the Yaseu line, Such as the FT-5100 have a few lines
>for the buttons, like band sellect and channel up and down. Which can
>allow 'poor mans remote base'.
>
>Others take a serial data stream down the mic jack to do control of
>the radio. You would have to get a logic analyzer or digital storage
>scope to disect the protocol though.

The FT-8500, 8800 and 8900 don't allow for serial commanding of the
radio "on the fly", i.e. no CAT interface. Likewise, serial control
via the mic connector isn't possible either.

That's not to say that just because a radio doesn't have "CAT"
capabilities that it isn't remotely controllable (as we showed with
Kenwood TM-V7a, g707 and 271A) but Yaesu apparently has a different
line of reasoning :-)

Ken
President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of the world famous RC210 Repeater Controller and accessories.
http://www.ah6le.net/arcom/index.html
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net