No I haven't tried it yet.  I did some modeling and with 150mw, 20dbi
antennas and the antenna at the friends house mounted up 21 feet (he
doesn't have a tower and isn't a Ham) and the antenna mounted at
least 60 feet up my tower it showed a good path.  This was 7.22 Km
and despite the non line of sight.  I was hoping for 2.4 Ghz
equipment since it is readily available running 200mw and 24 dbi
antennas.  I had also planned to mount the units at the antenna
point.  I was just second guessing the software models results.  I am
pretty cheap so didn't want to spend the money on equipment if I
wasn't reasonably sure it would work.

I have never used anything near 2.4 Ghz but I would think it would be
rather difficult to line up the antennas.  Other than a rough guess
what is the best way to do this?  It looks like every milliwatt may
matter in this installation.

Thanks for your help and the explanation of your systems.

Tim

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Custer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Some of the AP and Client equipment we use is assembled from
> parts-pieces.  Some of this stuff , like our 900 MHz gear, is built
from
> small computer boards that run a Linux OS and have MiniPCI radio
cards
> that make a complete wireless router, ap, or client device.  We use
the
> PC Engines "WRAP" and MikroTik RouterBoard.  The RouterBoard comes
with
> the OS, however the WRAP you must install some OS on it; for those
we
> use StarOS and StarV3.  Building such a system is not for the faint
of
> heart, because some knowledge of IP routing is necessary to make it
all
> work.
>
> I have a few NON line of sight paths working on 2.4 GHz.  There are
> amplifiers that can really make a difference with the 2.4 stuff,
and
> depending on where you are in the world, they may be legal.  Some
of
> these paths run 1 watt of TX rf and have pre-amps for the receive
> signal.  They run very tight 24 dB grid parabolic antennas
>
> 2.4 GHz is the cheapest band for internet equipment as there has
always
> been a flood of stuff made for it, but there can be a lot of
> interference to overcome.  >
> Have you tried to make your shot work?  If so, what did you use?
>

> Tim and Janet wrote:
> >

> >     Kevin,  can you go into a little more detail on your system?
I am