Hi Allan,

Here is a way to look at it that may help:

A 6 db increase in voltage doubles the voltage.

A 3 db increase in power doubles the power.

A 6 db increase in power quadruples power (4x).  (An easy way to do that
is.. 2x power = 3 db. 2x power again = 6 db).

Now if we do it by ohms law, let's say we have 10 volts to start with across
50 ohms. E squared /R = P.

So 10x10=100 volts divided by 50 ohms = 2 watts.

If we increase the 10 VOLTS by 6 db that gives us 20 volts. To find the
power now across our 50 ohms we have: 20x20=400 volts divided by 50 ohms = 8
watts.

If we go back and increase our POWER by 6 db from our 2 watts that gives us
8 watts. We end up with the same power increase either way.

So it doesn't matter if we are using power or voltage as a reference, the
amount of energy (signal strength) works out the same way. The only thing we
have to watch out for is to not mix the two.

73

Gary  K4FMX

  _____