[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 2/23/2007 4:32:54 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

    as all better repeaters builders know, the equipment might have to
    be tuned as a system using custom cabling lengths or Z Matchers
    for optimal performance.

Can you comment on a difference of opinion regarding how a Z matcher should be adjusted? One school tunes for maximum smoke downstream of the cavities which is the approach I adopt. The other school tunes for minimum reflected SWR between the first cavity and the TX. My academic preference is for the latter, but as a practical matter it's a pain in the buns to do because you have to account for the line section that the Bird meter adds to the cable. Beyond that, using just a meter, what is it that is actually being measured since it could possibly be a composite of both on-channel energy and and off-channel reflected spurs and harmonics.

I think you answered your own question, however I'll bite....

In *most* of the instances where I employed impedance matching between the transmitter and first cavity, the place where best return loss and least insertion loss was found, is very close to one another -tuning wise. I usually use the maximum smoke approach first and see what I have, then go from there. In my most critical applications, I use permanent in-line Bird samplers. Then, cabling lengths don't change because I don't remove the samplers; and you know exactly what you have and where....

Kevin