Re: mc-3357 & mc-3359 squelch circuit

Many receivers used the two mentioned chips... in both commericial,
Amateur Radio and classic scanner circuits. I've seen both part
numbers converted to "tk" numbers in Yaesu and Uniden Radios.

There are a number of working squelch circuits using the back end
section of the chip with and without external op amps. While the
Hamtronics circuit is/was rather basic it did work pretty well and
was easy to experiment with changes/mods.

A faster pussycat version of the same circuit can be found in the
Spectrum, some (if I remember right) older Maggiore or Melco
and Icom Repeater Receiver circuits. External op amp sections were
added as gain buffers and high speed switches to enhance the internal
circuit operation.

The Hamtronics transistor hysterisis circuit works ok so don't
discount it as a bad design. The receiver is/was a very basic
circuit and could be used in modest low power repeater operation
without a lot of grief.

If you really were interested in more work with the mentioned
chips I can and would be happy to email you some circuit diagrams
and manuals related to the chips used in quality well engineered
designs/circuits (in pdf file format).

As in our poor mans repeater project... sometimes when money is
tight you try to use whatever you can get you hands on.

cheers,
skipp