There's one reason- they would have to purchase rights to the voice decoder
designs from DVSI. D-Star is still young so other manufacturers may eventually
jump on board once they convince themselves that the upfront engineering and
intellectual costs will be worthwhile.
By the way, as if there were not already enough digital voice protocols on the
market Icom and Kenwood have teamed up and produced another protocol that they
are offering through their respective land/mobile lines. This new unnamed
digital voice protocol is said to meet the FCC's 6.25Khz emission mask
requirements for narrowband ops. We'll see what happens.
Gary