The only reason I would say that Simulcast couldn't be done would be very
hilly or mountainous terrain.  That type of terrain would cause TDI (time
domain interference) that would be hard if not impossible to eliminate.  I'm
NOT an engineer so that is only an assumption.  M/A-COM systems can be one
of several varieties.  From a single site, single channel trunking (SCAT)
all the way up to 20 channel 16 site (I'm not sure, I don't remember
exactly) simulcast, or 32 sites in a multi-site site network. A simulcast
system looks like a single site to the IMC (Integrated MultiSite Controller)
so you could in theory have 32, 20 channel, 16 site simulcast systems
attached to one IMC.  If you need more sites add a Star Gate and a 2nd IMC
and start over again. I just hope you have MEGA bucks.  On our system here,
the City FD, EMS, Rescue Squad use it for voice comms.  The City PD is
patched to a TG but they have been slow to make the change.  They use it for
mobile data/AVL and that uses a lot of resources.  All of the VFDs have at
least one EDACS radio and there are a couple of small PDs that use it as
well.  On our 10 channel site, we see about 2.15 million PPTs per month; 3/4
of those are data.

For the record though, for my Ham systems, I still run Mastr II repeaters.

Jamey Wright
Systems Analyst/EDACS Administrator
EDACS Master Technician
Morgan County EMCD 911