  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 12:03 AM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Coax length between added cavities

  Can we wind our way back to addressing the original query which asked if
there is a critical length for the interconnect between a BP BR duplexer and
added pure pass cavities? I can't speak for all bottle manufacturers, but I own
8 Wacom BP BR duplexer + pass cavity arrays some of which go back to the early
eighties. Lloyd Alcorn was kind enough and patient enough to give me a pretty
good nuts and bolts education on cavity characteristics. He said in no
uncertain terms that there were optimum cable lengths
  for both the interconnects between the duplexer cavities and also an optimum
length for any pure pass cavities added to the chain.  For the added pure pass
cavity, the optimum interconnect length would ensure that the pure pass curve
would superimpose over the duplexer curve. When I did some experimenting with
the pure pass cable length, it validated his point. If I significantly
lengthened or shortened this cable, the tracking generator would indicate that
the pass curve was no longer superimposed on the duplexer curve. It would
either lead or lag the duplexer curve producing two results: 1) the composite
curve began to show some distortion and 2) the total attenuation at the desired
frequency was higher than when the optimum cable length (supplied by Lloyd) was
used.

  So my take is that there are critical cable lengths involved for adding a
pure pass cavity to a BP BR duplexer, but I would be interested to hear from
anyone aboard who has the necessary hardware kicking around to repeat that
experiment and either replicate or refute the results I got. As I said, my sole
cavity experience has been with Wacoms, but I find it difficult to believe that
this parameter is OEM specific.

  K7IJ