  From: ldgelectronics
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:35 AM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Repeater Range : Estimate Program Available

  As a quick and dirty method, the radio horizon is:

  Distance (in miles) = Square Root of (2 * height in feet).

  Power and frequency do not really play that much into it. This has
  been mentioned in many stories of a repeater running just on the
  exciter and not many noticed. Once you get past the radio horizon,
  you cannot practically increase the power to get more distance.

  So a radio transmitting with an antenna on a 200 foot tower will give
  about 20 miles of coverage.

  VHF goes a little farther than UHF, but it's not by a lot.

  RadioMobile does a great job of factoring in many other things like
  TX power, RX sensitivity, frequency, coax and duplexer losses and
  some antenna modeling. After the learning curve, you can closely
  approximate typical systems with ease.

  Dwayne Kincaid
  WD8OYG