>On Aug 30, 2007, at 12:35 AM, ldgelectronics wrote:
>
>> As a quick and dirty method, the radio horizon is:
>>
>> Distance (in miles) = Square Root of (2 * height in feet).

This equation is ok, but for a perfect spheer.  Is a good place to start.  Here
in FL where max altitude is about 330 ft ASL it works pretty well although the
lower the antenna the worse the actual coverage results.  We have plenty of
repeaters at 200 ft that have noticably better coverage than 20 miles with a
mobile.

Also one has to take in account of the user's station.   The equation is to the
horizon so a user with height over the horizon can also increase coverage.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575
MICRO COMPUTER CONCEPTS