Another reason NYC repeater owners moved to the "odd/even flipped"
plan was to allow for use of existing tx combiners at premium
commercial sites.  If the ham repeater's tx frequency was in the 447-
450 range, an owner could use a site owner's combiner tuned for the
450-455 commercial band, thus assuring an excellent tx location on a
tall tower.  This was most evident on Long Island.

 --- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff DePolo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> From what I've been told, when 70cm first started to "take off" for
FM
> repeaters, repeater owners in the New York City metro found  that
they had
> fewer issues with desense and overload if they flipped to a
negative offset
> (i.e. get the ham repeater Rx further away from the 450-455
commercial
> repeater Tx's).  By the time the coordination councils got on the
ball,
> there was a mish-mash of repeaters operating with either positive or
> negative shift.  As a "fix" (using that term loosely), they decided
that all
> of the "odd" pairs (44x.x25 and 44x.x75) would be negative shift
and all of
> the "even" (44x.x00 and 44x.x50) pairs would be positive shift.
This became
> the policy for the adjacent coordinators, and, like a bad cold, it
spread up
> and down the Atlantic coast from New England to Virginia as more 440
> repeaters came online.  It's an ugly mess, and one that I"ve made
noise
> about fixing by having everyone go to positive offset to align with
our
> respective neighbors to the west and south.  Most of the
coordination