Yea- Here in the flat lands we get excited about bieng on a tower or structure
300-500ft! Obviously the big buildings in the city are the tallest places
around- but they are RF nightmares and usually have high $$$ price tags for
rent. Most of the systems with tx on those buildings have multiple reciever
sites because the noise floor in the city makes rx not as good as it should be
(fun just to drive around downtown with an icom mobile- the s-meter is always
pinned from the junk floating around and the crappy rx design of the non-moto
or ge radio) So the rest of us poor hams settle for water towers, apartment
buildings, things like that.

  Then again, if your lucky enough to land a 300-500 ft tower site you have the
joy of the hardline expense!

  I have two UHF systems. Both are balanced in my opinion, maybe a little on
the elefant side if anything. One is at 130' agl on a water tower, DB-420 on
top fed with 7/8" hardline and the TX set at 18 watts into the duplexer- 10
miles for portables and 25-30 for mobiles is what we get typically. The other
is at 320' AGL on an old microwave tower. It's also a db-420 on top, 7/8"
hardline (for now- it's what ma bell used on the orignal install) and a 75W
micor pa. it gets 15-20 miles for protables and 30-50 miles for mobiles. As I
said before- it's out in the cornfields and plays better away from the city
than to the city. The other box is in the suburbs.

  Only mountains around here are the landfills;). However- I can be to one of
my sites any time of year from work in 5 mins and the other from home in 10. No
4WD required!

  In summary- I would estimate systems here, and others can chime in with there
observations- the better ones get 30-50 mile radius for a good mobile, and the
average ones get 10-20 mile radius for the same. Onlytime we get 100 miles is
during a band opening.

  Which opens up another can of worms. On VHF, coordination gets you 120 mile
protection. Most systems cannot do half of that, and here in the northern part
of the state 2m pairs are full. The IRA has done a great job in the past few
years of getting everyone taken care of and utilizing the spectrum more
efficently by working out short space agreements and utilizing full time PL.
Debate it as you may, the PL requirement DOES help the situation and gives
everyone a chance to play.

  Tom
  W9SRV

Keith McQueen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
      I guess it's a different world out here in the wild wild west.  Very few
machines run more than 30 watts.  Of course with our 10,000+ foot granite
towers we don't need any more.  Some machines have 100+ mile (radius) coverage.

  Keith McQueen
  801-224-9460
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]