Bob,

>From the description of "five 20 A units in one box" it sounds identical to
the Samlex SEC-100BRM as shown on the Samlex web site here:

http://tinyurl.com/358l57

The manual for the SEC-100BRM can be found at the Samlex site here:

http://tinyurl.com/3a7aa9

Page 20 of the manual shows:

Two modules equpped:
No load = 14.00 VDC
Full load at 40 amps = 13.65 VDC

Five modules equpped:
No load = 14.00 VDC
Full load at 100 amps = 13.35VDC

All five modules feed a common bus.  The bus is then fed to the load
terminals through a Schottky diode for battery isolation purposes.

In my personal tests with an SEC-100BRM equipped with two modules I saw
no-load of 14.00 VDC.  With a 7.5 amp load the output dropped to 13.89 VDC.
Not nearly as heavy a load as your friend was seeing.

My guess is the output dropping one full volt is suspicious.

And as fair warning, I have discovered errors in Samlex documentation before
so I approach their specs with a wary eye.

Doug