  From: Ron Wright
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 5:12 AM
  Subject: Re: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Samlex Power Supplies

  One note on voltage drop.

  Where was the voltage being measured?  It should be at the supply, not at the
load.  High currents will show drop due to IR losses at the load even with #10
or larger wire.

  I have a Samlex SEC1223.  When I first got it I did some load test with 4 3
Ohm 100 W resistors in parallel.  Know not at full load of 23 Amps (did not
have enough resistors).  There was essentially no change in output from no load
to the instantious load of .75 Ohm (3 Ohm/4) at about 14 Amps.  On my FT857,
which I bought it for, I see little or no change in voltage even at 100 W CW
key down (I use a J38 real CW man's key, hi).

  I have a number of the Astron RS20s and RS35s, some with and without meters
(I like the meters).  I like the supplies, but they are not good for what
Astron says they will do.  Have had problems in repeater service killing pass
transistors under repeater conditions.  I would never use the Astrons on
anything that drew more than half the Astron Spec (AS35 never use for over
15-18 Amps in a repeater).  For typical Ham use another issue.  I do like
Astron.

  The SEC1223 is 23 Amp continous although never tried for long term use.  I
like it due to its 3 lbs and my FT857 sets nicely on top.

  73, ron, n9ee/r

  Ron Wright, N9EE
  727-376-6575
  MICRO COMPUTER CONCEPTS