Tony L. wrote:
> At what power output level would either a VHF or UHF amateur radio
> repeater need to be operating before its owner should consider mounting
> a "RF Warning" sign on the equipment room door (assuming there's no
> other tx equipment in the room)?
>
> 240 watts on the FM broadcast band got this licensee a Notice of
> Apparent Liability from the FCC.  What if my ham repeater is running
> 1/4 KW?
>
> http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-279189A1.html

While others have pointed out that the FCC was going after these twits
because they didn't even have the proper power output level set for
their license...

The question for Amateurs is a good one though -- lots of people run
lots of power and don't ever do even a cursory bit of math on their
particular station (let alone their repeaters) to see if they're in any
danger.

These links may or may not be useful -- the information on them is dated
1997 and 1998 and they haven't apparently been updated since then.
(Odd.  It says the ARRL put in requests to make changes and expected to
hear back in 1998.  Ha!)

http://n5xu.ece.utexas.edu/rfsafety/exemptions.shtml

http://www.arrl.org/news/rfsafety/

The Handbook does have this all in a convenient to read format that
covers the theory and "new" standards back in 1996/97(?), and it's also
published online as a web page:

http://www.arrl.org/news/rfsafety/hbkrf.html

Nate WY0X