I think I understand what you are saying Ian.  Your
#2 repeater has it's input frequency on the #1
repeater's output frequency.  That way you would only
require one extra receiver (on a third frequency) and
precedence circuit at the #1 repeater site.  The #2
site would have to have it's output on the third
frequency to make it all work.

I think you have simplified the system down to the
minimum required hardware to make it work.  CTCSS
transmitted only while an input is present would round
out the system requirement.  Your multi-user CTCSS
controllers should keep things private as different
users use the different tones.

Sometimes thinking outside the box can make for a real
worthwhile reduction in hardware.

73- Jim  W5ZIT

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs