Always wear gloves and have lots of ventilation when working with MEK.  Amazing
stuff but very nasty.

Tim KB2MFS
Re: Scotchkoat
Posted by: "Daron J. Wilson" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   daronwilson
Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:39 pm (PST)
Any one know of any solvents that can be used to remove it?? I have some on
some tools and a spot on my car upholstery (I know, I know....)

I have little spots of that wonderful product on many things, the tops of my
tower boots, a few tools, etc. One Klein canvas tower bag had bottle of it
spill in the bottom making a wonderful collection of spare nuts and washers
into a mass of goo. I suspect that any chemical strong enough to soften the
product, will quite likely also dissolve or destroy the upholstery. I've
not looked at the MSDS sheets for it, but the will likely be your best
source for which type of solvent will work the best with it.

Great stuff, wear gloves.

Back to top
Messages in this topic (12)
3d.
Re: Scotchkoat
Posted by: "Kris Kirby" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   ke4ahr
Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:12 pm (PST)
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Paul Finch wrote:
> Unless it has something like lacquer thinner in it there is not a
> chance of it working. On upholstery I don't know. It depends on what
> it is, if it's plastic based I would be very careful. If it's a cloth
> material I would try the lacquer thinner then the MEK. MEK also dries
> very fast. Needless to say, try it on a hidden piece if upholstery
> first.

Isn't MEK carcinogenic in 52 states and France?

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
But remember, with no superpowers comes no responsibility.

  I think you mean 3M "Scotchkote." I'd try using Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK),
  Acetone, or Xylene. These are all very aggressive solvents, so care must be
  used in their use. Once Scotchkote dries, it may be difficult to remove.
  Chemical-resistant gloves should be worn.

  73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY