Hi Skipp,

I was only suggesting a lower gain antenna as an alternative to using
a power attenuator.
It will work if all the sources for the IM mix come from external
sources, and won't be nearly as useful if the mix frequencies include
your repeater TX and you are using a duplex antenna system.

I've certainly experienced IM problems when a low gain antenna has
been upgraded to a high gain antenna. It's been due the signal
strength of the two adjacent off-channel signals increasing.
As you say, filtering doesn't help there because they are adjacent
channels, but some attenuation is enough to reduce the signals below
the overload point of the receiver.  And yes, an attenuator in front
of the receiver in a duplex repeater helps more than a reduction in
antenna gain because you are reducing the local TX signal too.  No
doubt there are situations where, say, a 6dB attenuator and a 6dB
higher gain antenna would kill off IM with no loss in repeater
sensitivity.

Cheers,
Mark VK3BYY