A few more observations.

A couple of years back I became interested in noise, noise figure,
etc.  It all started with a noise problem [affecting a repeater of
course] I did some research, conducted tests, scratched my head, etc.

I even acquired an Agilent [HP] noise figure meter & a couple of noise
sources.  Then one day I came home from a hamfest with an ARR UHF
preamp.  After seeing their ad in QST for many years - the one where
they show their preamp hooked to an HP 8970 displaying the gain and a
really low noise figure - well - I had to try it.

I couldn't match their published noise figure.

So I did a little internet research.  As it so happens, some of our
fellow amateurs [the weak signal folks] are really into this sort of
thing.  They have organizations [e.g. Central States VHF Society].
These organizations have annual pow-wows to get together and exchange
ideas.  One of the things they do is test preamps for gain & noise
figure.  These are usually member's projects but sometimes folks bring
commercial units.  Each year they publish their results.

I went through the results of several organizations and for several
years and looked at how the ARR amps tested.  They averaged about the
same as mine tested.  I guess I'd say I'm not real impressed.

BTW, the Central States 42nd Annual CSVHFS Conference is July 24–27,
2008, at Wichita, KS.

But back to the original subject - receiver noise figure - and the
suggestion to measure it directly.  Maybe not so easy?

Let's start with a typical repeater receiver.  We put it on the
bench.  It has power connections, an antenna connection, volume and
squelch controls, speaker [and usually also discriminator] audio
outputs.

Power it up and open the squelch.  Hmmm, noise.  Hook a 50 ohm load to
the antenna input.  Same noise?  Hook an antenna to the input.  Same
noise?  Hook a noise diode to the receiver's antenna input.  Turn the
source on & off.  Did the noise change?  Where do we hook our
measuring equipment?  The speaker audio?  The audio that doesn't
change?  What goes on here?

Aha!  FM receivers have limiters!  So - if the receiver's noise output
doesn't change [or doesn't change much] with different levels of noise
input - just how do we measure the receiver's noise figure?  We
don't.

That's not to say that you couldn't get inside the receiver - get
somewhere into the IF and make a measurement.  But measurement of
bandwidth limited noise has its own issues - plus there are so many
receiver architectures today.  How about receivers whose IF is
processed in a DSP.

In any case - we don't need to since there is a direct correlation
between sensitivity and noise figure - a correleation that is known
and published for all types of digital and analog, wide and narrow
band systems.

See the TIA working group report which can be found at:

http://www.antd.nist.gov/wctg/manet/docs/TIAWG88_20.pdf

For those who wish to further research noise figure, I suggest that
you start with Agilent's application note 57-1 "Fundamentals of RF and
Microwave Noise Figure Measurements" which can be downloaded free from
their web site at:

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5952-8255E.pdf

Some other items of interest:

"What's All This Noise About Noise?", QEX, November 1996

"An Introduction to Noise Figure", RF Magazine, March 1993.