On a quick Note Ron
If the repeater was for emergency services( Police,fire,ems or during a  storm)
 ,and was a Must Get on the air at any cost that would save lives. I would
allow that stupid splice Until I was able to get the correct connectors to make
the Correct splice.....
and that would be the only reason.
Better to be on air with a Crap splice than totally off the air  for a few
hours If its to save lives...  I know Its a Ham repeater.. how many Emergencys
are handled by Hams... ALOT....

Neal