I believe there is more that just amplitude involved Dan.  The vocoder
coding algorithm handles sound patterns to (hopefully) improve
intelligibility.  I remember part of the selection of the IMBE vocoder
dealt with voice inflection and the receiving station being able to
discern subtleties in voice - fear - panic, or so I have heard.  Of
course I very well may be wrong.  I do remember the old Secode consoles
having compression and alc on the TX - not sure about receive - made the
mechanical clock sound like a teletype machine next to the mic.  Lets
see, in 1995 were you referring to Motorola DES voice encryption as the
digital communications system ?

73, Steve NU5D