Being in Nebraska - near, if not in, tornado alley - weather events have had a
high priority on our repeater.

When our machine first went on the air 30 years ago it was a primary means to
relay real-time spotter information from the field to our local National
Weather Service (NWS).  It was not uncommon for a spotter observation to be
passed to NWS only then to hear a Tornado Warning broadcast on NOAA weather
radio a few seconds later.  In those days, it was crucial to pass the weather
net traffic because that is what often times generated the NWS warnings.

On the hardware side, when we rebuilt our repeater system a few years ago we
added the WX-200 along with a LinkCom RLC Club Deluxe II and we've been
extremely happy with the combo.  The WX-200 is, of course, the full radio
receiver and SAME decoder in a single rack-mount package priced at $399.  CAT
does offer the WD-100 SAME decoder (you supply the radio) at $159; a very
reasonable way to get the features on a budget.