Hi Scott, I've been running a somewhat complex system which uses an old
PC as the controller for several years now and it works just fine. You
can see pictures and details at:

http://www.ka7btv.com/cora.htm <http://www.ka7btv.com/cora.htm>

This system deos not use the Echostation software to which you refer,
but I see no reason why that shouldn't work fine for you. The system
here does use Windows XP Professional, and it easily runs both Echolink
and the custom repeater control program.

Windows XP is the only operating system which I have found that
correctly handles multiple sound cards.

Good luck and please let us know of your progress.

- Darrell/KA7BTV