A simple solution to your dilemma is to pull the drive and connect it
with a $12.00 adapter to a modern 3.5 ide drive bay desktop computer,
format the drive as fat32,copy the win98se directory off of the cdrom
to the 2.5 laptop drive.. stick the laptop drive back into the
laptop.. boot from a dos boot floppy made in xp, and execute the
setup program on the hard drive in the windows directory... you do
not need the cdrom if you have all the cab files....

Most decent computer stores offer 2.5 (laptop) drive adapters either
to USB or IDE so you can connect them to a standard desktop to "work"
on them or copy to/from...

My CF-27 has no cdrom, but XP can be loaded in a similar process more
or less, however the folder involved is the I386 folder from the
install cd... .... The CF27 will take a lot bigger drive than 2
gigs..... I think mine is a 60 split in 2 partitions....One DOS
fat32, on XP NTFS....

Doug
KD8B