I've done it several times using this method - works every time.

First I use a DOS floppy to FDISK and format the drive in the laptop. This way
the partition table is set the way the laptop BIOS will expect it.

Then I remove the drive from the laptop and connect it to my $40 universal
drive gimmick:
<http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=1501&sku=30504>
A better photo that shows the included double-headed power supply and
]the SATA cable is here:
<http://www.cablestogo.com/hi-res_image.asp?sku=30504&image=30504-A.jpg>

Then I copy the installation CD to the hard drive into a directory that
says what it is... W98CD, W98SECD, NT4CD, W2KCD, never use
the name "Windows", "WinNT",  or "Win32"

Then reinstall the drive into the laptop, boot into DOS from a floppy and
install from C:\whatever-your-directory-name-is\setup.exe

That little USB drive adapter is a lifesaver.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship to Cables To Go other than as a
satisfied repeat customer for over 10 years (my first purchase
was a 386-33 motherboard).

Mike WA6ILQ