From: "Bill Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 10:24 PM
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] New Repeater Desense Problems

Greetings Group,

I had hoped to be able to purchase off-the-shelf components for a 2
meter repeater for our local club to use.

I purchased a Maggoire HiPro R1VHF35, 35 watt version, and with their
recommendation a set of FiPlex DVN-1533L Duplexers (6 cans).  These
were installed with LMR-400 cabling and a 50 foot run to a Diamond X-
50 Dual Band vertical installed about 40 feet above ground.  We have
a good ground, and the equipment is mounted in an open rack.

The controller is a CAT-250, currently with COR receive only,
although the CTCSS module is installed but not turned on at this
time.  I have been told however that the PL is being transmitted on
the transmit signal for decode.  I also had the Narrow Band IF Filter
installed.

Ever since we first hooked everything up, we have had receive desense
problems.  The cans have been retuned 3 times by two different radio
shops in the area, and the problem still exists.  With the exception
of the duplexer and repeater itself, every other component in the
system has been swapped out at least once.

One observation by the first radio tech (ham) that came out was
the "very sensitive" receiver on the order of 0.10 uv, versus the
0.20 uv as advertised.  On the third tune-up of the duplexers,
they "discovered" that the loops were 180 degrees out of phase, and
when they turned them, the duplexers "came right in".  However, the
problem persists.  Great for in town use, but that's about it.

We have used varied lengths of cables between the repeater and the
duplexers, without any significant change in results.   Next weekend,
I am planning on looking at the tuning myself with borrowed test
equipment.  I know what I'm looking for pretty much, and it's got to
be close to correct to work as it does.

Any thoughts ideas, etc., would be appreciated.

Bill - KJ4EX