I made an isotee today by cutting off the central pin in a F-M-F tee. I
measured the attenuation by comparing the power through the tee to the
power that escapes from the isotee port. With the central pin cut off
flush with the dielectric the attenuation is about 38 dB. With the
central pin removed entirely the attenuation is about 71 dB. The
sampling port on my Bird can be adjusted from about 46 to 51 dB.

I am concerned that the transmitter power, as attenuated by the isotee
or Bird, will still be high enough to damage the signal generator. Has
anyone had such a problem? Is there a coupler that could prevent the
transmitter power from entering the line to the signal generator?

If I use the isotee with the pin removed, the signal generator can be
operated between -36 and -56 dBm to give -107 to -127 dBm at the
receiver. For the transmitter power amplifier putting out 60 watts, the
71 dB attenuation reduces the signal seen by the signal generator to -23
dBm. Is this low enough to be of no concern?

Ideas and comments?

John

P.S. The idea proposed by William494 (billb) sounds right, i.e. let the
signal generator see a 50-ohm impedance.